Director, Financial Planning and Analysis
At Valens, we believe in creating products for those who need them. We do things the right way without ever cutting corners. Whether it’s medical or recreational, local or international, we’re pursuing meaningful extraction, formulation, product development and testing to bring purposeful cannabis to the people.
We each have our unique story, but we have a common goal of creating exceptional products with the end user in mind. We celebrate team wins, big and small, by recognizing the role that everyone has played in it. It is about growing together, learning together and making a positive difference.
AT VALENS, IT’S PERSONAL.
- Don’t miss this opportunity to help build and shape the growing cannabis industry!
- Live, work and play in the heart of vibrant downtown Toronto.
- Immerse yourself in an environment where championing the individual is not just a motto, it is a daily practice and how we succeed as a team.
We are seeking a talented, high energy and passionate finance leader for an exciting new role at the Valens Company. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director, Financial Planning and Analysis is responsible for the successful leadership of all the financial analysis and decision support requirements across the business. This role will analyze business results with a focus on key performance indicators, provide strategic insight, and forecast business performance while working closely with key cross-functional stakeholders to improve performance and enable a fact-based decision-making culture. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, and growth-oriented environment. We are seeking a strong team player who is excited at the prospect of building and leading a high-performance team from the ground up.
As Director, Financial Planning and Analysis you will:
- Analyzing monthly and quarterly business performance with appropriate analysis of variances against budgeted or targeted expectations.
- Leading a collaborative annual budgeting and continuous forecasting process, in conjunction with cross-functional stakeholders with the objective of ensuring strategic alignment and a clear set of priorities and objectives.
- Providing financial expertise and modelling of new product and category opportunities through the building and vetting of cost, revenue, and margin assumptions.
- Partnering with the commercial team to identify trends and incremental revenue opportunities.
- Building and implementing the management reporting toolset across the business, including product/category/regional profitability.
- Supporting various strategic initiatives, as required.
- Ensuring the accuracy of the company’s product costs through standard costing.
- Improving the visibility and understanding of activity cost-based drivers to improve decision making across the business.
- Partnering with the operations team to implement plant reporting and operational performance indicators.
- Providing strategic and financial insight to operations leadership for cost and productivity improvement initiatives.
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with key stakeholders across the business.
- Build and lead a high performing team of 6-8 managers/analysts, ensuring their continued development and growth.
- Working closely with finance leadership on various initiatives across the finance function.
As Director, Financial Planning and Analysis you bring:
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) combined with minimum of 7-10 years in CPG and/or Food and Beverage manufacturing environments.
- Previous experience with building/implementing detailed standard costing systems.
- Proven leadership skills with strength in managing and development of staff.
- Superior skills in planning, organization, time management, project managing.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal, and presentation).
- Strong level of computer/ERP skills with experience in implementation of new systems.
- Ability to think outside the box.
- Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
- Proven track record to balance multiple priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Strong decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent ability to influence with a collaborative nature, strong communication/social skills.
- Highly motivated self-starter with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to work effectively across organizational lines and promotes an effective team-based environment with employees and management at all levels of the organization.
- All successful candidates are required to pass background checks.
As a valued member of the Valens team, you will enjoy:
- Competitive total compensation and incentives
- A top-notch extended benefits package including medical, vision and dental
- An entrepreneurial and innovative environment that fosters growth and continuous learning
We are grateful for the interest in this role from all candidates, however, we will be contacting only those that are selected for next steps in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
The Valens Company is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a welcoming, inclusive, diverse and safe workplace where all of our team members have equal opportunity to succeed. We know this begins with recruitment. To honor our commitment, Valens encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, ages and abilities.
Please note that The Valens Company does not utilize social media to hire employees, nor does it ever charge fees to candidates at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly and the address ends in @thevalenscompany.com. If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call from, for, or on behalf of The Valens Company, please send an email inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Valens Company, 409 King St West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada