VP, Corporate Accounting and Financial Reporting
At Valens, we believe in creating products for those who need them. We do things the right way without ever cutting corners. Whether it’s medical or recreational, local or international, we’re pursuing meaningful extraction, formulation, product development and testing to bring purposeful cannabis to the people.
- Don’t miss this opportunity to help build and shape the growing cannabis industry!
- Live, work and play in the heart of vibrant downtown Toronto.
- Immerse yourself in an environment where championing the individual is not just a motto, it is a daily practice and how we succeed as a team.
We are seeking a talented and passionate finance leader for an exciting new role at the Valens Company. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, the VP, Corporate Accounting and Financial Reporting is responsible for the supervision of financial operations and financial reporting processes, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, as well as the development of internal control policies and procedures. The VP ensures the accuracy, completeness and timely completion of the month-end, quarter-end and year-end consolidated financial statements and quarterly/year-end reviews satisfying the requirements of both TSX and NASDAQ listing requirements.
The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, and growth oriented environment. We are seeking a strong team player who is excited at the prospect of building and leading a high performance team.
As VP, Corporate Accounting and Financial Reporting you will:
Corporate Controllership and Reporting
- Establish the strategic direction of the team and manage day to day activities.
- Full ownership of the monthly, quarterly and annual close process and production of public company financial statements.
- Ownership and maintenance of the chart of accounts, accounting policies and practices and correspondence with the external auditors.
- Development and maintenance of controls over accounting and reporting processes.
- Ensure controls within the CEO/CFO certification process are complete and appropriate for the accounting and reporting teams.
- Lead with integration of accounting and financial reporting processes arising from acquisitions.
Financial Operations and Systems
- Coordinate transaction services including accounts payable, accounts receivable, collections, billings.
- Collaboratively work with key stakeholders to ensure accounting treatment of transactions is accurate and complete in the general ledger.
- Implement process and systems improvements drive operational efficiencies.
- Evaluate existing financial reporting processes and drive improvements on a priority basis to existing workflows resulting in improved accuracy, efficiencies and/or cost savings.
- Cultivate a continuous improvement mindset within the department with respect to technology adoption, change management and improving efficiency.
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with key stakeholders across the business.
- Build and lead a skilled finance staff and assure that the function remains fundamentally excellent by attracting and retaining top professional talent
As VP, Corporate Accounting and Financial Reporting you bring:
- Professional accounting designation and 15 years of post-qualification experience in a public accounting firm and/or financial reporting role in a publicly traded company.
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) including strong technical accounting skills and application of standards in practical manner.
- Familiarity with TSX and NASDAQ compliance requirements.
- Previous success in managing financial operations and systems.
- Working knowledge of income tax accounting and compliance requirements.
- Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy (critical).
- Highly analytical (ability to take care of sophisticated issues, break down into component pieces in order to analyze appropriately).
- Proven track record to balance multiple priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Strong decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Strong people manager and relationship builder with both internal and external partners.
- Excellent ability to influence with a collaborative nature, strong communication/social skills.
- Highly motivated self-starter with a sense of urgency.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and presentation).
- Ability to work effectively across organizational lines and promotes an effective team-based environment with employees and management at all levels of the organization.
- All successful candidates are required to pass background checks.
As a valued member of the Valens team, you will enjoy:
- Competitive total compensation and incentives
- A top-notch extended benefits package including medical, vision and dental
An entrepreneurial and innovative environment that fosters growth and continuous learning
We are grateful for the interest in this role from all candidates, however, we will be contacting only those that are selected for next steps in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
The Valens Company is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a welcoming, inclusive, diverse and safe workplace where all of our team members have equal opportunity to succeed. We know this begins with recruitment. To honor our commitment, Valens encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, ages and abilities.
Please note that The Valens Company does not utilize social media to hire employees, nor does it ever charge fees to candidates at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly and the address ends in @thevalenscompany.com. If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call from, for, or on behalf of The Valens Company, please send an email inquiry to email@example.com.
- The Valens Company, 409 King St West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada