At Valens, we believe in creating products for those who need them. We do things the right way without ever cutting corners. Whether it’s medical or recreational, local or international, we’re pursuing meaningful extraction, formulation, product development and testing to bring purposeful cannabis to the people.
We each have our unique story, but we have a common goal of creating exceptional products with the end user in mind. We celebrate team wins, big and small, by recognizing the role that everyone has played in it. It is about growing together, learning together and making a positive difference.
AT VALENS, IT’S PERSONAL.
- Don’t miss this opportunity to help build and shape the growing cannabis industry!
- Live, work and play in the heart of vibrant downtown Toronto.
- Immerse yourself in an environment where championing the individual is not just a motto, it is a daily practice and how we succeed as a team.
The Category Specialists will report to the Manager of Product Commercialization and are responsible for assisting in the product development process from approval to commercialization for Valens and partner brands globally. The Category Specialists will champion new product initiatives within Canada and International markets.
We are seeking two individuals to join our growing team. One of the specialists will cover our inhalable category that includes vapes, pre-rolls, flower and concentrates. The second specialist will cover our ingestible category that includes edibles, topicals, and other health and wellness products.
As a Category Specialist you will:
- Be the ‘subject matter expert’ on the designated category
- Assist in the organization, tracking and analysis of business cases, consumer and market trends and the product performance, product lifecycle, and competitive landscape
- Assist in managing the delivery of product pipeline projects
- Assist in development and execution of a continuously update to the go-to-market strategy
- Create detailed work plans and reports to ensure project metrics are met.
- Work cross-functionally with relevant stakeholders to ensure understanding and ownership of deliverables
- Assist in being a technical subject matter expert with competitive insights, industry trends and product assortment.
- Continuously identify systems requirements and implement new process improvements in order to effectively meet overall objectives
- Assist in customer relationship information gathering to ensure the client and Valens are aligned (i.e. product specs, forecasting, pricing, etc.)
- Assist in identifying potential risks to project timelines and scope
- Other duties and projects, as assigned by the Manager of Product Commercialization
As a Category Specialist you bring:
- BA in Marketing, Business Administration or other relevant area of study
- 3+ years of experience, ideally in retail sales and marketing
- Previous cannabis experience a valuable asset
- Strong analytical background and understanding of category management and shopper insights to drive category growth
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with different functional groups, business owners, and senior business leaders
- Collaborative team player with strong influencing skills who can build relationships across various stakeholder groups to move initiatives forward
- Ability to operate within an evolving and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to turn challenges into opportunities
- All successful candidates are required to pass background checks
As a valued member of the Valens team, you will enjoy:
- Competitive total compensation and incentives
- A top-notch extended benefits package including medical, vision and dental
- An entrepreneurial and innovative environment that fosters growth and continuous learning
We are grateful for the interest in this role from all candidates, however, we will be contacting only those that are selected for next steps in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
The Valens Company is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a welcoming, inclusive, diverse and safe workplace where all of our team members have equal opportunity to succeed. We know this begins with recruitment. To honor our commitment, Valens encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, ages and abilities.
Please note that The Valens Company does not utilize social media to hire employees, nor does it ever charge fees to candidates at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly and the address ends in @thevalenscompany.com. If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call from, for, or on behalf of The Valens Company, please send an email inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Valens Company, 409 King St West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada