Show Producer (ON) - National News Ottawa
Division: News & Information
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Global Ottawa
Hours of Work: Varied, includes working evenings and weekends as required.
This is a bargaining unit position of Producer – Group 3
About the Role:
Global News is currently seeking a full time Show Producer (Group 3) to join their team. The successful candidate is an ideas powerhouse who is passionate about leading political coverage and understands what it takes to create smart, innovative and impactful programming that advances the story. They will lead the production of the weekly market-leading Sunday morning political affairs show The West Block with Mercedes Stephenson. This position reports directly to the Bureau Chief.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Pitch, produce and write content for The West Block and Global National News and treatments of that content for Global National News
- Oversee production of the West Block, including building rundowns, writing and vetting scripts and meeting critical deadlines
- Works with the team to break and develop stories that drive the news cycle -- not just follow it
- Bring to the position a network of political contacts, and continue to expand that network while delivering high-profile guests
- Generate original and compelling political story ideas
- Conduct field interviews and shoots
- Display strong editorial judgement
- Work to expand The West Block brand and viewership on television, radio and digital platforms
- Field produce news items, remote segments and special event coverage
- Perform other duties as required
Required Skills, Experience &Qualifications:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A post-secondary diploma, certificate or equivalent, in a broadcasting or related field
- A minimum of three years’ experience covering politics
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Diverse background in national news considered an asset
- Team-player, highly organized, self-motivated and creative
- Ability to work in a high pressure breaking news environment with tight deadlines
- Ability to edit video content considered an asset
- French language skills considered an asset.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PD-Production
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Ottawa, ON, Canada