Writer (BC) - News Delivery
About the Role
Global BC is looking for a temporary Full-Time Writer (12-month contract) to join the #1 newsroom in Western Canada. Reporting to the Executive Producer, this position will include various shifts including regular weekends and overnights. This is a Group 2 position under the current collective agreement.
- Write compelling, accurate news copy for all platforms including story leads, segment leads, bumpers, promos and news ticker;
- Update, rewrite and refresh information as necessary;
- Cut down/reformat news content from reporter stories;
- Write and voice stories for CKNW 980 newscasts;
- Update globalnews.ca when required;
- Monitor all news sources and be on top of breaking news and developing situations;
- Assist in breaking news coverage, including helping coordinate live coverage, setting up interviews for broadcast, and facilitating pictures and video for all platforms;
- Research and arrange interviews for news stories and shows when required;
- Assist with show guests;
- Communicate with and assign field crews when necessary;
- Maintain Global News' high production standards;
- Some desktop editing;
- News switchboard duties, including answering phone calls from the public and dealing appropriately with inquiries and news tips;
- Other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
- Post-secondary degree, diploma or equivalent in Broadcast Journalism from a recognized institution;
- Experience working in a newsroom;
- Strong news sense with ability to recognize, chase and help develop relevant news content;
- Solid research abilities;
- Strong news writing skills with the ability to write accurate, concise and creative copy for live newscasts;
- Ability to make quick, informed decisions and handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines;
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to act independently and work effectively in a team environment;
- Comprehensive computer knowledge, including knowledge of leading edge Newsroom management systems (i.e. ENPS) and editing programs;
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and workflows, including learning new online skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation;
- Experience and ease with social media sites and ability to write and/or produce web copy;
- Manage content through social media an asset;
- Must have strong communication and people skills.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PD-Production
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary
- Burnaby, BC, Canada