Visual Designer - 12 Month Maternity Leave Contract
Who We Are:
Fresh Prep is Vancouver’s homegrown meal kit delivery service. We help people throughout B.C. make world-class dinners with fresh, pre-cut and pre-portioned ingredients along with an extended menu of over 100 add-ons from local suppliers delivered weekly to your door.
From sourcing quality local goods, to delivering in reusable, recyclable and compostable packaging, we believe it’s possible to make convenient eating healthy and sustainable for the community we live in.
In the past few years, we have collected first place awards for The Georgia Straight’s Golden Plates (2019 and 2020) in addition to winning the 23rd and 24th Annual Best of Vancouver award for Best Meal Kit Service as voted by readers (2018 and 2019). Fresh Prep also placed on the Canadian Business and Maclean’s Magazine STARTUP LIST 2020 as a high-growth Canadian startup.
What We Are Looking For:
Fresh Prep is looking for an intermediate visual designer with exceptional skills and experience in designing for a range of digital touchpoints to cover a 12-month maternity leave. The role will be part of the creative team leading the charge on a large “zero waste” packaging launch and to cement the brand as environmentally friendly from a digital aesthetic perspective.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an excellent design repertoire and an exceptional eye for aesthetics -- a design rebel who thinks outside the mold and aspires to answer every single design brief with bold and innovative solutions. We’re looking for a collaborative team player who is comfortable making guided decisions by asking questions and seeking for answers on their own at the drop of a project. The visual designer will report to our Art Director, and be a part of our growing brand team.
Fresh Prep is a fast-growing Vancouver company that makes it easy to cook incredible meals in just 15-30 minutes. In addition to being recognized by Georgia Straight as Vancouver’s #1 meal kit and by the industry as BCorp Certified, Fresh Prep is focused on reducing carbon impact and committed to UN Sustainable Development Goals. Studies and research on environmentally friendly meal kits is underway and our growing team will be a critical support in this sustainability journey.
Who You Are:
- Detail oriented. You have a flare for noticing the small things and always are the first one to flag small hidden errors.. You use details to check yours and others’ work to make sure things are perfect before ‘clicking send’.
- You are a diplomatic and effective multi-tasker who can work between multiple parts of a fast-moving business. You are a natural problem solver who takes proactive steps to gather info and requirements from different sources, team members and departments. Design driven. Your portfolio possesses strong design fundamentals in typography with a deep focus in print design and production. You excel in communicating your design rationales and have an insatiable appetite for pushing your work further.
- Open-minded. You are open to constructive feedback but aren’t afraid to let your opinions be known. You will champion new and unfamiliar processes and take ownership in improving the status quo believing you are an agent of change
What You'll Be Doing:
- Owning our weekly recipe card design and print production process, the core component of the product experience we offer to our customers as a meal kit provider
- Communicate with all stakeholders/team members and gather information from different places to execute the recipe card production process independently on a weekly basis.
- Stay on top of communication to handle changing requirements of info related to our recipe cards that have to be accurately captured onto the final printed products.
- Owning the design and print production of our product labels for our various food and beverage products
- Play an important role in executing the design of our marketing emails for our season promotions and regular marketing messaging
- Assist the Art Director in translating the creative/art direction of campaigns against given direction and strategies on multiple media channels for both print, outdoors and digital.
- Working cross-departmentally to design various projects depending on need, including new packaging, equipment and product branding and labels, and signage.
- Manage expectations with collaborators and managerial staff effectively throughout the entire design process to ensure work is delivered on time and up to quality standards
- 5+ years work experience in a similar role.
- A portfolio of relevant design projects demonstrating strong print production knowledge. It also needs to show a good command of the design language in the area of typography, print/digital layouts and concept execution. Preference will be given to past projects involving designing of complex information/copywriting/content
- Experienced using Asana, Slack, Google suite as the lifeline of our business operations
- Extensive experience using Adobe Creative Suite, including programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, After effects, and InDesign.
- Experience in using Figma
- Knowledge of on-screen and pre-press art production for a variety of formats.
- Well versed in designing icons for UI and general communication purposes
- Experience with the Unbounce platform in building landing pages.
- Experience working with a fast paced team environment and multi-level stakeholders to get a job finished independently from the start to finish and all the processes in between
- Experience with videography and photography would be an asset, but not required.
What You Can Expect:
- An inclusive, fun workplace filled with fantastic colleagues. We’re a certified B-Corporation and our team is passionate about making a positive difference (and also about food!)
- The ability to work from home or from our HQ located in beautiful East Vancouver
- Competitive pay and bonuses, as well as the opportunity to participate in our Employee Stock Option Plan.
- Comprehensive health benefits (including medical, dental, vision and life-insurance) after 90 days of successful employment.
- Free food! A Fresh Prep meal plan for 2 meals per week and sample meals from our test kitchen at our HQ!
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
Fresh Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and prohibit discrimination of any kind. We value diversity at our company and at all job levels our goal is to be diverse, inclusive and representative of the communities we operate in. We endeavour to recruit, develop and retain the best talent from a diverse candidate pool and truly believe that diversity, equity and inclusion among our team members is vital to our success as a company. We trust that in applying for a role with us you value this as well!
- Pay Type Salary
- Vancouver, BC, Canada