FT Peer Support Worker (Woodstock)
Peer Support Worker – Full Time
Blossom Park – Woodstock, ON
Closing date for applications: June 20, 2021
Our Mission: Indwell is a Christian charity that creates affordable housing communities that support people seeking health, wellness and belonging.
Position Description: The Peer Support worker will work as a member of a diverse inter-disciplinary team to facilitate and support clients with their recovery process. Utilizing lived experience, the Peer Support Worker’s role is to meet tenants where they are in their lives and facilitate a tenant’s personal aims involving housing stability, health, wellness, and community belonging.
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week as scheduled based on the support needs of individuals in the program. Some flexibility is required. Participation in the on-call schedule is required.
Duties For This Position Include:
Directly Supporting Individuals
- Supporting individuals to achieve their goals while encouraging independence and recovery.
- Support individuals to participate in cultural, spiritual, recreational, leisure, educational and social activities.
- Develop and carry out individualized service plans that help individuals meet personal goals.
- Reinforce tenants’ life skills, social and community skills.
- Facilitate and lead groups.
- Working as part of a team to provide direct and indirect support to individuals living in the residential care facility and the supported independent apartments
Developing and Maintaining a Supportive Relationship with Individuals
- Promote individual's dignity and well-being and provide emotional support as required.
- Demonstrate warmth, sensitivity, and a caring attitude.
- As a representative of a faith-based organization, recognize and promote the role of spirituality and provide support and guidance as required.
- Be aware of and follow all agency policies and procedures
Health, Welfare, and Safety Practices
- Use appropriate first aid/safety procedures when responding to emergency situations and implement crisis plans as required.
- Ensure own health and safety, the health and safety of the individuals supported and co-workers by adhering to current legislation.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely manner, ensuring documentation is factual, current, relevant, and objective and complies with agency policy and procedures.
- Perform administrative tasks as assigned.
- Ensure all information is entered into the organization’s data system as assigned and in accordance with policies and procedures.
Participation and Commitment to the Team
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings and other agency meetings as required.
- Demonstrate a positive, collaborative and professional relationship with the team.
- Promote and demonstrate the vision, mission, and values of Indwell within the workplace and the community.
- Assist in the orientation of staff, students, and volunteers.
- Attend and participate in any training recommended by the supervisor.
- Lived experience as a recipient of mental health and/or addictions services.
- Experience working with individuals with serious mental illness, addictions or other special needs.
- Demonstrated awareness of diversity issues and the personal impact of discrimination faced by people with mental health and addictions challenges.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills, be able to maintain good interpersonal relationships and have a genuine interest in supporting people living with mental illness.
- Knowledge of local community resources and support systems and landlord-tenant relations.
- Commitment to upholding and modeling the standards set out in the organizations Missions Statement, Statement of Faith and other operating standards and policies.
Education/Experience: College diploma, Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, and related experience. One year formalized peer support work experience. Peer Support Certification is required.
Remuneration: Annual salary based on education and experience. Indwell offers a competitive benefits package and RRSP contribution.
To apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume at www.indwell.ca/careers. We thank all applicants; however, only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- 373 Blossom Park Rd, Woodstock, ON N4S 7J3, Canada