FT Registered Nurse - 1 Year Contract (Parkdale Landing & Strathearne Suites)
Registered Nurse – Full Time
Parkdale Landing & Strathearne Suites – Hamilton, ON
Closing date for applications: June 20, 2021
Our Mission: Indwell is a Christian charity that creates affordable housing communities that support people seeking health, wellness and belonging.
Position Description: The Registered Nurse works as a member of the interdisciplinary team delivering health support services in housing. The Registered Nurse provides services in health promotion, health protection and disease treatment related to mental health support and liaison for tenants with serious mental illness, addictions and other special needs. The Indwell nurse works within the context of a collaborative interdisciplinary team reflecting the principles of person centred care and evidence based care.
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week. Some flexibility is required to meet program needs, including evening and weekend hours. Participation in the on-call schedule is required.
Duties for this position include:
- Health promotion – Enabling people to increase control over and improve their health
- Primary Nursing care – Medication management, ER diversion, Care plan development, Addiction medicine, wound care
- Mental health crisis and suicidality – Assessment of baseline mental health, NVCI (Non Violent Crisis Intervention), ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills), SafeTalk
- Education and health teaching – Medication administration training for interdisciplinary staff team, health teaching to promote healthy lifestyles for tenants, specialized health training for staff (e.g. diabetes management)
- Relationship building – Building therapeutic relationships with tenants, recovery oriented approach, trauma informed care, promoting hope and trust
- Critical thinking – Evidence based practice, influence policy and program development, identify relevant and appropriate sources of information
- Advocacy – Using evidence to influence policy and practice, supporting tenants to promote well-being as defined by the person
Participation and Commitment to Team
- Working as part of a team to provide direct and indirect housing support services to individuals living in the apartments
- Provide direct clinical services, including client assessment, treatment, and referrals.
- Promote and demonstrate the vision, mission and values of Indwell within the workplace and the community.
- As a member of an interdisciplinary team, participate with the team in shared responsibilities and service plans with and for tenants
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings and other Indwell meetings.
- Support program volunteers.
- Provide supervision and support to program employees as assigned.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Education:
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Community psychiatric or community health experience preferred.
- Experience with harm reduction approaches to substance use
- Knowledge of local community resources and support systems
- Knowledge of infection prevention and control interventions
- Demonstrated effective crisis intervention skills
- Ability to work effectively in a high stress environment
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated commitment to interpersonal collaborative team work and care
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a highly organized manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous professional development
- Commitment to Indwell’s mission, vision, and values
Education/Experience: Minimum BScN. Completion of a university, college or other approved registered nursing program. Current BLS (Basic Life Support) for health care providers.
To apply: Please apply via our website with cover letter and resume: www.indwell.ca/careers . We thank all applicants; however, only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- 205 Melvin Ave, Hamilton, ON L8H 2J9, Canada