Systems Administrator (Entry level) – Part-Time (22.5 hr/wk), Permanent
Office Admin tasks – ½ day once a week
Located in Vancouver.
Are you a highly organized professional who is looking for a fulfilling career in the non-profit sector with supportive colleagues and a flexible work culture? Are you a community inspired individual with a strong focus on providing excellent service to clients? Are you looking to learn about cloud infrastructure, security, and enjoy participating in interesting technical projects?
MakeWay is a leading national charity that enables community-led transformation for a healthy environment, social equity, and economic prosperity for all Canadians. Our Shared Platform is home to over 60 projects working on community-led solutions that further our mission. Working for the MakeWay community would provide you with the satisfaction of knowing that everything you do is a part of the important work MakeWay does in providing uncommon solutions for the common good. If our values align with yours and you want to learn, grow, and develop within a supportive team that shares knowledge and cares, then we want to hear from you! Join us and make a difference.
MakeWay is looking for an entry level Systems Administrator who is knowledgeable about, or passionate about learning, cloud infrastructure and architecture and, is willing to suggest proactive, automated solutions to technical issues. In addition, the entry level Systems Administrator will also provide office administrative support for our head office in Vancouver when needed. This role will report to the Director, Information Systems and will work along with the Senior Systems Administrator and the rest of the Information Systems team.
What You will Do:
Information Systems responsibilities (90%):
- Install, deploy, and coordinate the shipment of equipment (i.e.: Laptops, monitor, headsets, etc.) while updating the hardware inventory list and process purchase orders for equipment and licenses
- Respond promptly to security or usability concerns
- Anticipate potential system disruptions and taking action to solve them before they impact users
- Set up disable new and current user accounts and retrieve assets when required
- Purchase licenses
- Assist with helpdesk tickets (tier 1), end user day to day support and technical projects i.e., Domain profile migration
- Contribute to the implementation of the annual technical strategy
- Schedule and track couriers and laptop shipments
- Add, remove, or update user information such as logins and passwords
- Document the network’s configuration
- Aid and maintenance to computer systems including, check for antivirus, risky logins, and machines’ compliance status in order to resolve all related issues
- Installing browser patches
- Verify Information Systems expenses prior to submission and process invoices into the system
- Other duties as assigned
Administrative Responsibilities (10%):
- Office administration for our head office in Vancouver including coverage of the reception phone and emails, greet visitors, coordinate deliveries, and liaise with the building manager as needed (e.g., fire drills, maintenance, etc).
- Check and scan incoming/outgoing mail and courier cheques to the Senior Coordinator Revenue and Donor Relations
- Other duties as assigned
Who You Are:
- An independent self-starter – you take initiative, manage your workload, and utilize all the resources at your disposal.
- Time management: You are able to plan and organize your own time based on priorities.
- Adaptable: You are able to manage and prioritize incoming requests, juggle conflicting priorities, and deliver multiple assignments, all while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Customer oriented: You are able to put yourself in someone else’s shoes and take the time to understand what they are looking for and what they need.
- Passionate for analysis and problem solving: You like to research to learn more so you can fully understand the problem and present possible solutions.
- Quick thinker/learner: You like and take the time to learn new things to quickly think on the spot and offer solutions to common and uncommon problems.
- Enjoy Communicating: You are able to proactively communicate issues, ideas, and concerns. Our team strives to build an environment that allows open communication and believes feedback is the way to improve ourselves and our environment.
- Self-confidence/resilient: You enjoy evaluating pros and cons and taking educated risks before taking action.
Experience You Bring:
- The ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- At least 1+ years of hands-on experience in providing excellent customer service and technical support
- Used to tracking and documenting issues via a helpdesk ticketing system
- Familiar with remote desktop troubleshooting
- Previous experience with setting up and installing laptops for deployment
- Solid knowledge and experience troubleshooting Windows OS and 0365 Office applications
- Knowledge and experience with Azure Active Directory and Exchange administration and, Microsoft Teams
It Would be a Bonus if You Have:
- Experience in the charitable/non-profit sector
- End user training experience an asset
- Experience working in an office environment
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a real impact on the community
- The opportunity to learn about cloud infrastructure and architecture
- Full time annual salary of $44,321 – $ 50,147 (dependent on experience you bring)
- Competitive benefits package including generous RRSP contribution
- Three weeks’ vacation
- Flexible work environment with remote working
- Committed colleagues working alongside a great team!
- High level of responsibility and autonomy
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth
How to Apply:
In your cover letter please share what makes you an ideal fit for this position and why you want to join the MakeWay team. This position will stay open until filled.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
- Pay Type Salary
- Vancouver, BC, Canada