Assistant Manager, Operations - Kitchener
Our Vision, Mission, & Values:
At Sheridan Nurseries we aim to delight our associates, guests, and business partners in everything we do. Independently owned and operated for over 100 years, we are committed to growing the highest quality plants at our local farms, curating the best-in-class home, garden, and lifestyle products and services, delivering unrivaled guest service and satisfaction, and providing meaningful and rewarding careers to our employees. We always strive to inspire and share our knowledge, passion, and expertise to build confidence, loyalty, and trust, while protecting our planet with industry leading environmentally sustainable initiatives and giving back to our local communities and charities.
Our vision is “To inspire people to never stop growing”.
At Sheridan we seek people who will continually strengthen our culture. We work hard to ensure our culture is something we feel proud of and allows us to bring our best selves to work every day. And a great culture starts with values. We have clearly defined values which are embedded in everything that we do so that they are lived and breathed daily.
If you share our values of:
- Doing What's Right
- Being Performance Driven
- Learning and Growing Together
- Being Externally Focused
- Having Bias for Action
Then this is the position is for you!
About the Job:
The Assistant Manager, Operations (AMO) will be responsible to support the Store Manager in the daily
operations of the store. Your role is to manage employees, oversee inventory and cash control, work with guests, and help achieve company goals.
- Assist the Store Manager in planning and implementing strategies to meet and exceed annual sales revenues and profit budgets.
- Participate in scheduling and forecasting labour to achieve the budgeted sales to labour rate (labour ratio and sales per labour hour).
- Oversee store inventory, ensuring product quality, availability and timely receiving while reducing scrap, shrink, and aged inventory while maintaining a fully stocked store with accurate inventory.
- Ensure the following of all cash handling procedures and policies as directed by Head Office and the Store Manager, ensuring the compliance of all staff by overseeing the control of all cash on hand and working to resolve any discrepancies, including balancing cash tills, ensuring accurate deposits, and managing use of petty cash.
- Exhibit, and foster amongst all employees, an enthusiastic, helpful, and positive sales-oriented attitude towards all guests, ensuring a high level of service.
- Maintain high store standards and assist Store Manager with upkeep and maintenance of all store facilities and equipment on premises.
- Provide leadership and direction to all employees, including holding direct reports accountable and actively provide training, coaching, and mentorship.
- Interview, hire, onboard, and train new employees.
- Maintain accurate records and ensure that all requests are followed up on in a timely manner.
- Resolve guest and employee issues and concerns.
- Ensure receiving is completed in a timely manner, including that shipments have been accurately verified and priced accordingly and that credit requests are forwarded immediately to the appropriate contact for all short-shipped, damaged, or unsaleable items.
- Actively seek to increase knowledge base of all Sheridan products and services.
- Provide a safe work environment for all employees through active observations, hazard reporting, coaching on relevant health and safety best practices, and leading by example while ensuring all employees are adhering to company policies and guidelines.
- Support Store Manager or other Assistant Managers as needed, serving as a backup in their absence.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have completed high school and be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- 5+ years of experience in a retail setting.
- Previous management or supervisory experience with proven leadership and organizational abilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills when interfacing with guests and employees.
- Strong technological proficiency with an attention to detail and emphasis on accuracy and efficiency.
- Existing product knowledge or ability to learn.
- Passion for the industry, sales, and guest service.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions.
- Effective time management, with the ability to adapt and prioritize multiple tasks and situations.
- Active listening and trust building.
- You do not shy away from conflict and have courage to resolve problems and troubleshoot guest complaints.
- You are punctual and dependable, and highly value honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Flexibility to work a variety of shifts including day, evening, weekends, and holidays as seasonal peaks require, including store opening and closing responsibilities.
- This job requires extended periods of walking and standing, as well as the ability to lift 50lbs and work in various weather conditions and environments.
- Please be advised that being fully vaccinated for Covid-19 is a condition of employment (subject to any accommodation required under the Ontario
- Pay Type Salary
- Kitchener - 100 Elmsdale Drive, 100 Elmsdale Drive, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada