Director, Training and Development
Reports to: Vice-President, International R&D
For over 65 years, Walter Surface Technologies has been a global leader in surface treatment technologies delivering high performance abrasives, tooling, power tools, chemical solutions and welding process solutions specifically designed for the metal working industry. Our core philosophy is centered on helping customers work better and providing “only the best” – the best technology, the best products, the best performance, the best in safety and the best in sustainability – all geared toward increasing their productivity and profitability.
The Director, Training and Development is ultimately responsible for leading all Training initiatives throughout the entire organization, including planning, development, and implementation of formalized sales and product training programs to Walter employees, distributors and end-users, in order to develop our sales force and drive sales growth.
The Director, Training and Development will also be responsible for developing talent within the Training department, including hiring, promoting, coaching and continuous learning. Allocation and management of resources, such as project-based budgets and travel budgets, as well as assigning team members to different training activities, will also be key deliverables.
The current team of National and Regional Training Managers will directly report into this position.
Scope of responsibility includes all Company territories, product lines and brands.
1. Build and deliver formal internal training programs for direct Walter sales employees, to ensure they can thoroughly develop their product knowledge and sales skills, including, but not limited, to the following:
- Build and implement product-related training material for current as well as new products with the objective of increasing end-user conversion and growing sales;
- Build and implement sales-related training material, focusing on sales skills development as well as tactical sales programs;
- Lead the continued development of Walter’s E-Learning platform (The Walter Academy) and other distance learning opportunities, such as online training sessions and webinars;
- Build thorough Onboarding Programs with the overall objective of significantly shortening the learning curve for new hires;
- Maximize adoption of CRM tools such as SalesForce.com within the Training team and the Sales teams;
- Maximize use of online and on-site training events such as National Sales Meetings to implement points listed above.
2. Build and deliver formal external training programs for distributors, end-users and external sales agents, with the goal of diffusing a thorough knowledge and understanding of the Walter value proposition to all parties. Build and deliver external-focused modules within Walter’s E-Learning platform (The Walter Academy) in addition to the internal-focused modules.
3. Actively participate in the integration of organizations acquired by Walter Surface Technologies by building integration programs for new employees. Conversely, develop training programs for Walter employees on new acquisitions’ product portfolios and related sales skills development.
- Travel up to 20 weeks per year working with National Training Managers, Regional Training Managers, Regional Sales Managers, Sales Territory Managers, external sales agents, distributors, end-users, etc. to provide training and coaching, as well as attending internal management meetings.
5. Participate in the planning and execution of corporate sales events, such as National Sales Meetings and Road Shows.
6. Plan, communicate and organize all Training team members’ activities in order to manage resources and travel budgets efficiently.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven experience in managing a corporate Training department, preferably within an industrial sales organization.
- Leadership - aptitude to coach, mentor and develop talent.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to deliver effective feedback.
- Positive attitude, desire to motivate and inspire.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures within all areas of responsibility and able to apply these to support and promote organizational goals and vision.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Computer literate including Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, and Salesforce.com.
- Bilingual in English & French is an asset.
- Willingness and availability to travel up to 40% - may require to travel outside regular company business hours, including weekends on occasion.
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Adult Education, Business Administration, Engineering or an equivalent discipline, or proven experience in Training and Development.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in a corporate structure within an industrial distribution/manufacturing environment.
- Job Function Management
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Siège social / Head Office, Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada